Monday, August 15, 2005

Smut and Eggs....

So Kathy and I went to Chicago this weekend to see our cousin Alison who was there for a conference. We had a wonderful time. I got to her apartment on Friday and we went and fed the dogs and hung out with Mom and Mike and their friend Ginny for a little while. Then we went back to Kathy's house and watched Dirty Jobs on Discovery. The show is interesting and really funny.

We got up early Saturday and got out of town around 9 am. The drive was pleasant with only the middle irritation of other people being on the road. When we got to Chicago at noon, we went straight to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry so that we could see the Body Worlds-I really can't truly explain in in words so here is the website http://www.msichicago.org/bodyworlds/index.html

We stood in line for an hour and by the time we got to the front, we decided that since the next showing of the exhibt would be 6:30pm, we would just buy tickets for Sunday-at 9:30 am. We left and headed to our hotel, which was the Congress Plaza Hotel. The hotel was ok. It is right on Michigan so that was cool and it was a place to stay that I didn't have to pay for. It was just very interesting. I think it might be one of the oldest hotels I have ever stayed in and I wish I could have seen it in its prime.

Kathy and I then walked to Eddie Bauer on Michigan street (which was quite a ways from our hotel) to meet up with Alison, who was protesting Eddie Bauer's use of children in sweatshops. After, Alison had to take off for a workshop, we went shopping-well not actually shopping since we didn't buy anything but food and drinks. After a time, we went back to our hotel, where Alison and her friend Paul met us. Paul is going to Northwestern for his PhD in a biomedical science like me. Alison went to high school with him in New Mexico.

We took the L to Wigleyville and had dinner and then went to a bar. We proceded to get drunk. Our main focus for the night was Smut and Eggs but since no one else was there I just can't explain it. Really. You had to be there.

Paul led us back to the L and we got on. Since his apartment was sooner than our hotel, he gave us instructions and then got off at his stop. Alison, Kathy, and I got off at the right stop but then started to walk in the wrong direction. We stopped and got Dunkin Donuts, as some guys the way to the lake, and then decided that since we were at least 2 miles away from the hotel, got a cab-I know that the cab ride was $5.00 so I am just glad we didn't walk that. We ate our donuts and went to bed. We then proceded to get up at 8:15 am so that Kat and I could get to the museum and Alison had to go back to her conference.

The museum was packed but the exhibit made it worth while. We left Chicago around 2 pm and I finally made it back to Cinci around 7 pm. I had a lot of fun and really enjoy going drinking with Alison, Kathy, Paul, and the gay guys we met at the bar-Keith and Patrick. I just am now soo tired and worn out. I have not yet decided, but I might not be coming back to Indy for Gencon because I am just so needing to not travel for a little while. I will let everyone know of my decision before this weekend.

Smut and Eggs,
Juls

5 Comments:

At 8/15/2005 5:29 PM, Blogger OneHotBlog said...

I would say that this weekend was the best ever. For once we said we were going to party and not only did we party but we partied like rock stars. Ok, maybe not rock starts but definatly wannabe rock stars.

 
At 8/16/2005 9:33 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I like the fact that we did not just lay around our hotel room and eat pizza and drink beer. We seized the moment of smut and eggs and vending machine novelty gifts. Go us!

 
At 8/16/2005 11:12 AM, Blogger OneHotBlog said...

I think those people left right after I gave them the glow in the dark... Well, I hope they had fun.

 
At 8/16/2005 12:47 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I can't even imagine using it, especially since we had played with it before you gave it to them. Hehehe, I hope at least they put it under a lamp for at least 1 min.

 
At 8/16/2005 1:58 PM, Blogger OneHotBlog said...

I can't imagine that it would have worked all that well anyway. The nubs were barely even there. Huh huh, nubs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home