Thursday, August 18, 2005

How the west was won...

I am not quite sure but I think it involved a lot of dead people. Again I am at work, trying hard to make my experiment work. We got extremely close yesterday and I am just adjusting two things that will hopefully bring the background noise down so it will be easier to count the cells in the lung tissue.

So tomorrow night is the Summer Mixer for my department. I am going despite the fact that everything in me is screaming "no, don't go, I don't want to go." I am figuring that I will have fun and meet a lot of people that will help me in my career. On the other hand, I just really hate faking that I want to be in a conversation about stuff I really don't care about. I may be wrong and I will find some people having a great conversation about whether or not there is a mind and how we could tell if there was such a thing-and that Descartes is an ass. But I am not holding my breath.

I enjoy talking science to people but I get very uncomfortable when I have to talk science to people that I am well aware know so much more than me. In those cases, I like to listen and not talk. But ultimately they end up asking me a question that I have to answer. Urgh.

So I have been reading a lot of fantasy recently. I just finished The Tamuli by David Eddings. I have read those books at least five times in the past but I really enjoy them. Now I am taking myself even further back in my reading past and I started Magician: Apprentice today by Raymond Feist.

I hope that everyone has a great book to read,
Bongo,
Juls

8 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 5:55 PM, Blogger OneHotBlog said...

Have fun at your summer mixer. I am so jealous that they can see you and I can't but I want you to have a nice relaxing weekend at home. You deserve it.

 
At 8/18/2005 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - have a great weekend. Sorry we missed you last weekend but I guess our schedules just didn't match up. We had a great time sailing on Sunday morning. J got a little seasick but came through it ok. I got to "captain" the boat for a couple of hours. It was really fun. Joe has his surgery tomorrow. Hope everything goes well. You might call J tomorrow night to ask her and give someone to talk to about it.

Love Dad

 
At 8/19/2005 12:00 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I don't think they are quite ready for my fishnets. They don't even know about my tattoos yet. I think I will break it slowly to them.

Let me know more about the new undergrad!! That is very exciting.

Oh, and I love Firefly. I am watching it on SciFi network but may buy it soon so that I can watch it all before the movie comes out. Have fun and miss you too!!

 
At 8/19/2005 12:47 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I am going to carpool with one of my classmates so that way we save on gas and we know for sure that there is someone we can talk to. I am proud of myself since I was the one to suggest it. Now I am just waiting for her to call. Waiting...hmpf...I think I covered how I feel about waiting in my livejournal.

Oh, and I can't believe that JD was not voted off Rockstar on Wednesday-he sucks!

 
At 8/23/2005 1:29 PM, Blogger OneHotBlog said...

slacker, where's your new post?

 
At 8/23/2005 2:53 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Well, since I am at work and I have to share the computer I really don't have time right now. I will post something new when I get home.

 
At 8/23/2005 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are looking at 10/8 and 10/9 for the Highland Fling. J is going to ask the Herd if anyone else is interested.

 
At 8/23/2005 11:32 PM, Blogger Julie said...

That would be great if the Herd came too!! I think we are going to have a lot of fun!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home