Monday, February 06, 2006

Words to live by...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Douglas Adams

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"

Nothing is stronger than habit.
Ovid, Ars Amatoria

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.
Bertrand Russell

I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
Bertrand Russell

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Bertrand Russell

The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way.
Bertrand Russell

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
J. R. R. Tolkien

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord Of the Rings, Book Four, Chapter One

Each of us bears his own Hell.
Virgil, Aeneid

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/

4 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger OneHotBlog said...

Honkytonk Badonkadonk!

 
At 2/14/2006 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes, rather creating our own words of wisdom, we use other people's wisdom to say what we think. And sometimes, I like that.

 
At 2/20/2006 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... I comment, I check in, and how do you think it makes me feel when you don't post a new blog. It makes me feel sad, and like I have to stop procrastinating. Why would you want that for me?

Why?

 
At 2/20/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Julie said...

sorry, I will try harder to keep up so you can procrastinate. I have always found going to the links along the side of my blog helps with not doing what I should be doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home